Muhammad Hamayl Zeeshan ( 4th Year MBBS Student, Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi, Pakistan. )
Madam, mucormycosis (likewise called 'Dark Fungus') is a significant uncommon parasitic disease brought about by a gathering of moulds called mucormycetes. They regularly influence the sinuses or the lungs as a result of the inward breath of parasitic spores from the air. These moulds are available all around the year.1 They can likewise influence the skin following a cut, consumption, or any kind of injury. Possibly, the mind could be in danger additionally because of this sickness. Indications of this illness fluctuate as per the site of development of the sickness and the state of the patient. It could either be rhinocerebral, pneumonic, cutaneous, gastrointestinal or spread and mucormycosis of unprecedented sorts.1 Cutaneous mucormycosis happens after the parasites enter the body through a physical issue or opening in the skin (for example a cut, mishap, or perhaps a medical procedure). This sort of mucormycosis is found in those patients whose safe framework is as yet not compromised. Individuals who are immunocompromised are more powerless to the aspiratory and gastrointestinal sorts. Even though the actual illness is very uncommon, as per a new article distributed by Dawn News (first July 2021) there has been a disturbing flood in the instances of Mucormycosis inside India.2
After the United States, India is the country with the most number of affirmed Covid-19 cases with the figures being around 30.4 million. What's more, during this pandemic, the quantity of detailed instances of Mucormycosis has additionally expanded, right now revealed around 40,845 cases.2 A new report made in December 2020 by Pasero et.al showed that patients with serious intense respiratory condition Covid 2 (SARS-CoV-2) disease turned out to be more vulnerable to sharp contaminations like Mucormycosis.3 This was because of the explanation that SARS-CoV-2 disease may modify the safe arrangement of a person by influencing T lymphocytes, especially the CD4+ and CD8+ T cells, which may be associated with the obsessive course of Covid-19 contamination. With the quantity of Covid-19 cases in Pakistan on the ascent, with it nearly hitting the 1 million imprint (989,000+ cases), the danger of different complexities like Mucormycosis is becoming unavoidable. In May 2021, there was an occurrence in Karachi where 5 instances of Mucormycosis were accounted for inside Covid-19 patients.4 Out of the 5, four patients lost their lives because of this disease.
To handle this issue, one of the main lines of measures is to get everybody in the nation inoculated. To defeat this issue, legitimate schooling about immunization should be given to the overall population. One more issue with this illness is the lack of sufficient awareness on Mucormycosis. It is diagnosed late making it difficult to manage compelling treatment. Hence, an early analysis can be significant in the improvement of this condition.5
Conflict of Interest: None.
Funding Sources: None.
1. Lewis R, Kontoyiannis D. Epidemiology and treatment of mucormycosis. Future Microbiol 2013; 8: 1163-75.
2. After Covid-19, 'black fungus' robs many in India of their eyesight. [Online] 2021 [Cited 2021 August 30]. Available from: URL: https://www.dawn.com/news/1632570
3. Pasero D, Sanna S, Liperi C, Piredda D, Branca GP, Casadio L et al. A challenging complication following SARS-CoV-2 infection: a case of pulmonary mucormycosis. Infection 2020; 49: 1055-60.
4. Cases of Black Fungus emerge across Pakistan'. [Online] 2021 [Cited 2021 August 30]. Available from: URL: https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/834117-cases-of-blackfungus- emerge-across-pakistan
5. Walsh TJ, Gamaletsou MN, McGinnis MR, Hayden RT, Kontoyiannis DP. Early Clinical and Laboratory Diagnosis of Invasive Pulmonary, Extrapulmonary, and Disseminated Mucormycosis (Zygomycosis). Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54: S55-60.